The aging process can affect your appearance in many ways. Fine lines, volume loss and skin laxity are some of the most common issues we experience with age. As collagen production depletes and the dermal structure weakens, the face begins to lose its youthful shape and radiance. Fortunately, there are various facial fillers and injectables available today that can address these aging concerns and help you reclaim a smoother, more vibrant appearance.
At California Dermatology Care, board-certified dermatologists Dr. William Ting and Dr. Ingrid Freeny perform injectable treatments to help patients transform dull, damaged or aged skin into a healthier, refreshed complexion. After carefully analyzing your condition, concerns and facial anatomy, our specialists can work with you to determine the best solution and customize the procedure to your unique needs and aesthetic goals. With personalized care and highly advanced cosmetic techniques, Dr. Ting can create beautiful, natural-looking results that encourage you to feel more confident about your appearance.
What Concerns Can Fillers Treat?
As you age, the effects of sun damage, harmful toxins and genetic traits all begin to take their toll on your appearance. Lifestyle choices, such as smoking or unhealthy eating, can also contribute to the dull or worn-looking profile that many patients develop over time. At California Dermatology Care, Dr. Ting carries an extensive range of facial fillers to address various kinds of skin concerns and signs of facial aging. So, no matter how your face has responded to the aging process, he can select the most suitable filler, or a combination of injectables, to replenish what you have lost and revitalize your appearance. Some of the most common concerns fillers are used to treat include:
- Fine lines and wrinkles – Static wrinkles, such as marionette lines and nasolabial folds, deepen with age and typically become prominent along the lower half of the face. Fillers that can help to soften these facial creases include Restylane Silk, Belotero or Juvederm Volbella, which are also known as NASHA fillers (non-animal stabilized hyaluronic acid).
- Volume loss – Loss of volume can distort the natural shape and contour of your face. Juvederm, Radiesse and Sculptra can help to replenish lost volume and restore fullness to sunken or hollow areas, such as the cheeks and midsection, and create a more radiant facial aesthetic.
- Tear troughs – Dark circles that form beneath the lower eyelids can produce a perpetually tired and aged profile. This issue can be addressed by replenishing volume to the hollow area with Juvederm, Restylane Silk or Belotero.
- Thinning lips – As collagen levels deplete, the lips tend to thin over time. Juvederm Volbella and Restylane Silk can help to restore shape, volume and definition to aging lips for a plump, more youthful contour.
- Facial shaping – With volume loss and skin laxity, the face loses its youthful shape and structure. Radiesse, Sculptra and Juvederm fillers can be used to re-contour areas of the face for a smoother, more defined facial aesthetic.
Nasolabial lines (nose-to-lip groove areas)
Marionette/Puppet lines (corners of mouth to chin)
Tear Trough (valleys underneath the eyelids)
Naturual Lip Augmentation
Forehead Frown Lines (combination of fillers and Botox used)
Depressed Scars (acne scar, chickenpox scar)
Types of Fillers
Today, aesthetic enhancement can be achieved through a variety of non-invasive fillers that serve to strengthen the dermal structure, enhance the skin texture and redefine the shape of your face. With no downtime required and minimal side effects, these quick and convenient procedures provide an ideal treatment option for those seeking to improve their appearance without surgery. At California Dermatology Care, we offer an assortment of FDA-approved fillers made with the highest quality ingredients to ensure lasting and fulfilling results.
Juvéderm is a highly effective type of anti-aging filler designed to enhance facial contours and minimize the effects of age. Available in a range of formulations, Juvéderm fillers can be used to address various issues and areas of the face. These products are made with hyaluronic acid, which is a naturally occurring substance in the body that serves to support the underlying tissue and maintain the skin’s firm and smooth texture. Since hyaluronic acid diminishes over time, Juvéderm helps to replenish this hydrating agent and revitalize the skin from the inside out. The Juvéderm family of fillers includes:
- Juvéderm Volbella – This filler can be used to enhance the lips or minimize lines around the mouth, known as perioral or lipstick lines. The results of Volbella can last up to one year.
- Juvéderm Voluma – This highly developed solution boasts a thicker consistency and cross-linking technology, making it highly effective for cheek augmentation and facial contouring. The effects of Voluma can last from 18 to 24 months.
- Juvéderm Vollure – This filler is designed to correct wrinkles around the mouth by replenishing volume to problem areas, particularly the nasolabial folds. Vollure can help to create a smoother, more youthful profile for up to one year.
- Juvéderm Ultra Plus – This formula, made of a slightly thicker caliber, can be used to contour areas of the face and reverse signs of aging on photodamaged hands. Results usually last between 6 to 12 months.
Restylane is another popular treatment option for those seeking to treat mild, moderate and severe facial lines and wrinkles. With a variety of hyaluronic acid-based formulations, Restylane can help to fill in unsightly folds and creases, such as marionette lines and laugh lines, while also replenishing volume around the mid-face. Due to its volumizing properties, Restylane can be used to enhance the lips, redefine the chin and restore fullness to hollow areas. The Restylane line of fillers includes:
- Restylane Silk – This product can reduce lines around the nose, mouth and eyes to restore a smoother, silkier profile for up to six months.
- Restylane Lyft – Formerly known as Perlane, this solution is used to contour areas of the face for a more youthful and vibrant appearance, lasting between six to nine months.
- Restylane Defyne – This filler uses innovative technology to correct lines around the nose, mouth and chin, with beautiful, natural-looking results for up to 12 months.
- Restylane Refyne – This formula uses cross-linking technology to smoothen creases around the nose and mouth while preserving your natural expressions more effectively than other fillers. Results may last up to 12 months.
Radiesse consists of calcium hydroxylapatite microspheres and works to rejuvenate your appearance from deep within the dermis. By stimulating collagen growth, this solution can enhance the cheeks and restore fullness for a more youthful and radiant profile. Radiesse also helps to soften facial creases, such as nasolabial folds, and can provide smooth, natural improvements for 9 to 18 months.
Belotero is an injectable filler designed to smoothen out signs of aging and rejuvenate your complexion from the inside out. Made of a soft cohesive gel, Belotero penetrates deeply into the skin layers, where hyaluronic acid is delivered to restore lost volume and strengthen the skin’s structural integrity. This formula integrates evenly into the facial tissue and blends smoothly with your features to create a naturally refreshed appearance for up to one year.
Sculptra is a stimulatory filler made of poly-L-lactic acid that encourages collagen production and replenishes volume to your entire face. This unique solution can help to boost facial contours and restore a natural glow to your appearance. By drawing on the body’s natural processes, Sculptra can create a lifted and refined profile for up to two years.
Complementary Treatments for Side Effects
Dr. Ting takes every measure to ensure a safe and comfortable treatment experience, which he will walk you through during your consultation. There is no downtime required after injectable treatments and most patients can resume regular activity immediately after the procedure. However, there are potential side effects that can result from facial fillers. Though mild swelling can occur, this tends to subside within a few hours of treatment. Some patients also experience slight bruising. Due to the intricate network of arteries and veins that make up the face, even the most experienced injectors cannot guarantee that bruising will not occur. However, if you experience this side effect, Dr. Ting offers complementary services to significantly reduce bruising, including VBeam Perfect and Cutera Excel V laser treatments. Depending on how your skin responds to the filler, he can work with you to determine the most suitable aftercare process.
Schedule Your Consultation with Dr. William Ting, A Leading Cosmetic Dermatologist
Dr. William Ting is a highly qualified dermatologist with a passion for creating personalized and fulfilling results for his patients. When performing filler treatments, he believes that patient satisfaction relies on both artistic vision and technical skill. At California Dermatology Care, we pride ourselves on working with each patient to achieve beautiful, natural-looking improvements without looking ‘overdone.’ Serving the residents San Ramon, Hercules, Livermore, Pleasanton and beyond, Dr. Ting and his team of specialists have helped countless men and women feel more confident about their appearance. If you are seeking to address signs of aging and would like to experience the benefits of our filler treatments, contact California Dermatology Care by texting 925-328-0255 to schedule your consultation today.
* some of the above photos are adopted from Restylane and Sculptra websites
**Patient education matters to us. The information on this page has been reviewed by the board-certified dermatologists of California Dermatology Care. If you have any questions about our procedures or treatments, please get in touch with us today.