Argentina Leon, M.D. was born and raised in Latin America. Her hometown is Miami, Florida. She obtained her undergraduate and medical school degree at the University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine. It is no surprise that she completed her Dermatology residency at the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital. Dr. Leon is also trained in Family Medicine at Brown University/ Memorial Hospital of Rhode Island. With her unique background, her goal is to bridge the gap between dermatology and medicine. To her, skin disease is not “just a skin thing” but has an important aspect of a person’s general health with implications for other major organ systems. Her area of interests includes dermatologic surgery, psoriasis/eczema, phototherapy, cosmetics, and clinical research trials.
She is most grateful for her mentors who have given her endless support and made a phenomenal impact in her career and life in general. She believes life is about making the most positive impact in other people’s lives. She speaks Cantonese and Spanish. Some of her hobbies include gardening, traveling, and spending quality time with friends and families.
- Leon A, Liao W, Koo J. (2014) Contemporary Diagnosis and Management in Dermatoprevention: Psoriasis and its Comorbidities. Longboat Key, FL. Handbooks in Health Care Company. www.HHCbooks.com
- Chaudhari S, Leon A, Levin E, Neuhaus I, Liao W. Case report of multiple keratoacanthomas and squamous cell carcinomas in a patient receiving pembrolizumab. J Drugs Dermatol. 2017 May; 16(5):513-515.
- Brown G*, Wang E*, Leon A, Huynh M, Wehner M, Matro R, Linos E, Liao W, Haemel A. TNF-alpha inhibitor-induced psoriasis: systematic review of clinical features, histopathological findings, and management experience. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2017 Feb; 76(2): 334-341.
- Nguyen C, Beroukhim K, Danesh M, Babikian A, Koo J, Leon A. The psychosocial impact of acne, vitiligo, and psoriasis: a review. Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol. 2016 Oct; 20(9): 383-392.
- Nguyen CM, Leon A, Danesh M, Beroukhim K, Wu JJ, Koo J. Improvement of nail and scalp psoriasis using apremilast in patients with chronic psoriasis: phase 2b and 3, 52-week randomized placebo-controlled trial results. J Drugs Dermatol. 2016 Mar; 15(3):272-6.
- Levin E, Nguyen CM, Danesh MJ, Beroukhim K, Leon A, Koo J. An open label pilot study of supraerythemogenic excimer laser in combination with clobetasol spray and calcitriol ointment for the treatment of generalized plaque psoriasis. J Dermatolog Treat. 2016; 27(3):210-3.
- Kourosh, B, Danesh M, Nguyen C, Koo J, Leon A. Case report of heart failure after therapy with Ustekinumab. Journal of Dermatology & Dermatologic Surgery. 2015 July; 19(2): 117-119.
- Leon A, Liao W, Gupta R, Koo J, Wu J. Tumor necrosis factor-α triad: psoriasis, cardiovascular disease, and depression. Psoriasis Forum. 2013 Spring Issue 19(1): 41-49.
- Leon A, Levin E, Koo J. Psychodermatology: An Overview. Seminars in Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery. 2013 Jun 32 (2): 64-67.
- Ahmed A, Leon A, Butler D, Reichenberg J. Quality-of-life effects of common dermatological diseases. Seminars in Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery. 2013 June 32(2): 101-109.
- Leon A, Nguyen A, Letsinger J, Koo J. An attempt to formulate an evidence-based strategy in managing moderate to severe psoriasis: A review of the efficacy and safety of biologics and prebiologic options. Expert opinion on pharmacotherapy. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2007 Apr; 8(5):617-32.
- Charles CA, Leon A, Banta MR, Kirsner RS. Etanercept for the treatment of refractory pyoderma gangrenosum: a brief series. Int J Dermatol. 2007 Oct; 46(10):1059-9.