Dr. William Ting is a Diplomat of the American Academy of Dermatology and a member of the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery. His practice philosophy incorporates best and latest dermatology practice with emphasis in preventative dermatology care including modalities to help reverse prior sun damage and minimize future risks of skin cancer. He makes sure that each recommendation is tailored to each patient's unique set of skin complexion, social and cultural backgrounds, and other priorities.
He has been a prolific contributor to the field of dermatology and has won several dermatology research awards. He was very productive during his Dermatology Residency training at the
Iowa as he was endowed the first ever Resident Research Award. He was the recipient and the Principal Investigator of the 2002-2003 Photobiology Award from The Skin Cancer Foundation which funded the research project “Epidemiological Study of Tanning Bed Exposure and Associated Risk of Cutaneous Neoplasm.” He was also recognized by the Richard B Stoughton fellowship from the British Association of Dermatologists for the best abstract submission from
U.S. dermatology resident physicians in 2002. Even in private practice, he has continued to publish in peer-reviewed dermatology journals and speak at numerous academic and industry sponsored local, national and international forums.
Dr. Ting is a graduate of Northwestern University Medical School where he was one of only two combined M.D./M.B.A. candidates in his class. He had an unforgettable year spent at Kellogg School of Management between 3rd and 4th year of medical school where he was awarded Rothschild Scholar in Health Services Management.
He completed Dermatology Residency at the University of Iowa where he was privileged to have taken care of many Iowan farmers and families to whom he owes his surgical skills.
Dr. Ting grew up in the East Bay, went through the public school systems at Oakland and Berkeley. He was borne in Taiwan and is fluent in Mandarin and Taiwanese. Graduated from UC Berkeley in Electrical Engineering & Computer Sciences with Chancellor's Scholarship. He has built this website from scratch and continued to maintain this website to serve his patients better.
He has served on the Volunteer Leadership of the Contra Costa County Chapter of the American Cancer Society and volunteered many hours doing free skin cancer screening at Doctors Medical Center at San Pablo and at Hispanic Outreach programs at Concord. For his efforts in public service, he was endowed Certificate of Appreciation by the American Cancer Society.
American Academy of Dermatology, Fellow
American Society of Dermatology Surgery, Fellow
American Society for Mohs Surgery, Member
American Contact Dermatitis Society, Member
International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery, Member
American Cutaneous Oncology Society, Fellow
Media Quotes and Presentation
- Dr. Ting was quoted on 12/14/16 by Yahoo! Style+Beauty "Chrissy Teigen's Baby Daughter Has Eczema - Here's What She Should Do"
- Dr. Ting was featured on Costco Connections (2013 January issue) as a skincare expert
- USNews Health News, "Could Compact Fluorescent Bulbs Pose Skin Cancer Risk?", 8/3/12
- Scene, the East Bay's Guide to Style, "so long, cellulite" quoted Dr. Ting's opinion of Cellulaze, breakthrough technology for Cellulite, Fall 2012
- HealthDay, "Common Painkillers May Help Prevent Skin Cancer: Study", May 2012.
- Everyday Health, "Rosacea: Experts Weigh in" Summer 2011.
- USA Today 'Tanning Bed Regulation Heats up Over Cancer Concerns' by Karen Pallarito 2/9/10.
- Patients' Choice Recognition as tabulated by Mdx Medical Inc., 2009, 2010, 2011.
- 'Alternative Tanning Methods' by Laura Casey, Contra Costa Times on 5/6/09.
- Featured expert physician proctor at the EVOLENCE® STAR™ Training program instructing San Francisco Bay Area plastic surgeons and dermatologists the art and science of Evolence filler injection techniques at the Claremont Resort, Berkeley CA on 9/24/08.
- Featured interview on the new fractional CO2 laser resurfacing technology published in The Aesthetic Guide May/June 2008 issue.
- Featured speaker on American Cancer Society sponsored Doc Talk Teleconference Symposium "Skin Cancer Epidemiology, Treatment and Prevention" on 6/17/2008.
- Featured interview and coverage of Micro Fractional CO2 Laser Resurfacing by Malou Review on KTVU Channel 2 on 3/30/08
- 'Smell of Success? Odor of smoke now a bother' by Laura Casey, Contra Costa Times on 11/19/2007; 'Your body, your skin will love you for stopping' by Laura Casey, InsideBayArea.com on 11/19/2007
- Hour-long TV interview (video clip) 'Ask a Doctor' sponsored by San Ramon Regional Medical Center and TV30, Tri-Valley Community Television on 6/6/07
- 'Dark skin requires a light touch' by Jessica Yadegaran published in Contra Costa Times, Seattle Times etc., April-July, 2006.
- 2007, 2006 (back-to-back) Golden Crown award for Best Customer Service by a Health Care Provider as voted by the readers of the World Journal Newspaper (the largest circulating Chinese Newspaper in the U.S.) two years in a row.
- 'Winter Skin Care' By Judy Peterson Silicon Valley Newspaper on 10/6/2004.
Featured interviews and quotations by top fashion magazines
Peer-Reviewed Dermatology Publication and Presentations
- Ting, W. Randomized,observer-blind split-face study to compare the irritant potential of two topical acne formulations over a 14-day treatment period. Cutis, 90:91-96, August 2012.
- Ting, W. Tretinoin for the treatment of photodamaged skin. Cutis, 86:47-52, July 2010.
- Cac, N, Walling H, Vest C, Ting W. Differences in perceived importance and personal use of sun protection among primary care physicians are reflected in their clinical practice. International Journal of Dermatology 47(2): 137-143, Feb 2008.
- Ting W, Schultz K, Cac N et al. Tanning bed exposure increases the risk of malignant melanoma. International Journal of Dermatology 46(12): 1253-1257, Dec 2007.
- Heinen S. J., Badler, J. B., & Ting W. Timing and velocity randomization similarly affect anticipatory pursuit. Journal of Vision, 5(6):1, 493-503, June 2005.
- Ting W, Stone M, Racila D et al. Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis-like Acute Cutaneous Lupus Erythematosus and the Spectrum of the Acute Syndrome of Apoptotic Pan-Epidermolysis (ASAP) – A Case Report, Concept Review, and Proposal for New Classification of Lupus Erythematosus Vesiculobullous Skin Lesions. Lupus 13:1-10, 2004.
- Debloom J, Ting W, Stone M et al. Circumscribed palmar hypokeratosis. Journal of the
Academy of Dermatology 51(2):
319-21, Aug 2004.
- Ting W, Stone M, Madison K et al. Nephrogenic fibrosing dermopathy with systemic involvement. Archives of Dermatology 139:903-906, July 2003.
- Ting W, Vest C, and Sontheimer R. Review of traditional and novel modalities that enhance permeability of local therapeutics across the stratum corneum. International Journal of Dermatology 43(7):538-547, July 2004.
- Ting W and Sontheimer, R. Local therapy for cutaneous and systemic LE. Lupus 10:171-184, 2001.
- Ting W, Schultz K, Peterson M et al. Correlation of Breslow depth of melanoma and extent of tanning bed exposure as a measure of dose-response relationship? Journal of Investigative Dermatology 121(1):1594, July 2003.
- Schultz K, Ting W, Peterson M et al. Risk of Melanoma is Associated with Tanning Bed Exposure, Particularly among Young Females. Journal of Investigative Dermatology 121(1):1595, July 2003.
- Ting W, Vest Cortney, and Sontheimer R. Differences in the perceptive importance and personal practice of sun protection among primary care physicians are reflected in their clinical practice. Journal of Investigative Dermatology 121(1):1596, July 2003.
- Ting W, Stone M, Madison K et al. Nephrogenic fibrosing dermopathy with soft tissue calcification as a subset of nephrogenic panniculitic dermopathy. Journal of
Academy of Dermatology and Venereology
. 16 (Suppl. 1): 304-305, 2002.
- Vest C, Ting W, and Sontheimer R. Prevalence of tanning bed exposure and associated behavioral patterns. Journal of Investigative Dermatology. 119(1):248, July 2002.
ACADEMIC ORAL PRESENTATIONS
Skin Cancer Epidemiology, Management and Prevention. Doc Talk. Monthly Teleconferencing Symposium sponsored by the American Cancer Society, June 2008.
Updates of Skin Cancer. Grand Rounds Presentation. San Ramon Regional Medical Center, San Ramon, CA, September 2007.
Dermatology 101. Grand Rounds Presentation.
San Pablo, CA, February 2006.
Epidemiology of Tanning Bed Usage and Associated Behavioral Patterns in
Iowa Dermatologic Society Meeting,
Iowa City, IA, Fall 2002.
Prevalence of tanning bed exposure and associated behavioral patterns. Society of Investigative Dermatology,
CA, May 2002.
TEN-like ACLE and the Spectrum of Acute Syndrome of Apoptotic Pan-Epidermolysis (ASAP).
Iowa Dermatologic Society
Iowa City IA, Spring 2002.
Erythema ab igne.
Iowa Dermatologic Society Meeting,
IA, Fall 2001.
Leukonychia, Iowa Dermatologic Society Meeting,
IA, Fall 2001.
Iowa Dermatologic Society Meeting,
IA, Spring 2001.
ACADEMIC POSTER PRESENTATIONS
Application of topical formulations containing calcium in mineral complex to enhance skin barrier regeneration. American Academy of
, July 2006.
Strategic Challenge in Sun Protection Education to Optimally Target Different Patient Populations.
, March 2003.
Sun Protection Education and Preventive Medicine Practices among Primary Care Physicians.
, March 2003.
Nephrogenic Fibrosing Dermopathy with Soft Tissue Calcification as a Subset of Nephrogenic Panniculitic Dermopathies. European
Academy of Dermatology and Venereology,
Prague, Czech Republic, October 2002.